Monday, November 15, 2010

A little German twist of fate

If you told me in high school that I would visit Germany,the country I read about in my modern european history classes at secondary school, four times, I would think you were nuts.
But life throws us many suprises and my association with Germany ,thus far,is a real suprise ,even to me. Well, Forrest Gump warned me a long time ago, 'life is a box of chocolate, you never know what you are gonna get'.
I have now visited Germany four times in the last two years. That's two visits per year, on average.
And yes, I have enjoyed, immensly, all my trips to Germany.
Even as a child in elementary school, I often quizzed my helpless dad about countries and which was richer than the other(which questions my Dad always patiently provided,thanks dad!), I knew that Germany was one of the most advanced countries on the globe. At the time it was up there with the US and Japan. The Asians of course have had something to say about that lately.
But I didn' count Germany among the first countries I would probably visit. There was the language barrier,the stereo types, and thenthe obvious history,which I mastered as a high school history major.
But as I write, I have now visited Germany more times than any other country outside Uganda.
My association with Germany was never delibarately planned. I would say it was fate and Germany came calling each time.
In 2008, I applied and was selected as a German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)fellow at the University of Oldenburg.

No comments: