Monday, May 19, 2008

UGANDA MAKES FIRST TOYOTA CAR!

I drive a beat- up 1990 Toyota corsa. I have been driving it since April 2002 when I bought it from a local city car bond as a 'reconditioned' car. It has been on the road for over six years now.It ceased being Japenese made, i reckon, about two years ago. From about 2004, it has been're-engineered' by Ugandan car 'techincians' whose ingenious antics have been responsible for keeping it on the road since. The car has been re-assembled and then assembled again, bit by bit,part for part, every time I take it for mechanical repairs. To make sure I understand that this is really the first Toyota car made in Uganda, the mechanics are glad to put it apart in a matter of minutes,before my very eyes, at the slightest excuse. They then meticoulously put the parts together as I await on them. And when a new spare part is needed they quickly board a boda boda and head to a downtown motor car spare parts market where a hasty bargain is made and a 'new' spare part is quickly returned. Now, all the parts on sale here are not too legit!. Some parts are actually locally made or modified in jua kali spots in town or make- shift steel fabrications. Some of the parts are not actually parts meant for my Toyota which I learn, the hard way, in a matter of days. Some of these parts are expertly modified by the mechanic.And when a new spare part purchase is not so, so necessary, the mechanic will pull it out of the car and panel beat it before your very eyes and hurriedly plug it back. My car engine cannot, in good conscience, be called Japenese-made.Mine is the first Toyota car made in Uganda!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it. Here